Sunday, June 19, 2022

Stuck at Camp Possibiites

I postulated what failure modes would keep you from leaving a campsite and what you could do about it.

Any subsystem failure or low or missing 12v power can cause:
-Slideouts to get stuck out
-Awning to get stuck out
-Hydraulic jacks to be stuck down

Having one of these stuck out is the start of a bad day!

----------
I did research on manually retracting my slide-outs in case of failure or loss of battery power.

On my 2020 Greyhawk 26Y the bedroom (in-room) slide can be manually operated from the Lippert slide controller.
According to the manual and Lippert. The slide can also be disengaged by unplugging the motors from the controller and pushing the slide in, then reconnecting the motors to lock the slide.
After pushing the slide in you can also put stops on top of the valance to keep the slide from sliding out. I carry two pieces of PVC for that.

There is one important design fault that makes manual slide operation a challenge. Jayco put the controller under the bed and it is not accessible from outside the bed box underframe. This means if you want to get access to the controller to:
  • See the status indicators
  • For manual operation
  • To plug/unplug the motor cables
You have to remove the bed box cover.

To manually push the bed in you can remove the cover, unplug the motors and push the bed in. Then since the bed covers the controller you cannot plug the motor cables back in to enable locking.

DOH!

I wonder if Jayco actually tries some of the failure procedures that an RV user may encounter.

I contacted Jayco and they told me I had to disassemble the valance and unplug the motors at the motor end to disengage the slide....seriously.

So my solution was to relocate the bed controller to the outside wall of the bed frame. This way I can unplug the motors at the controller and not disassemble anything. I get the added benefit of being able to see the slide controller status and manual operation.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SdRMrqUzzBrhLJJx8

--------------
The living room slide-out is different. You access the motor from outside under the slide. A power drill is required to drive the slide in. I haven't tried this yet.
--------------
Side Note:
While inside the bed frame, full of unbelievably unprofessional wiring, I also noticed that my inverter has a nice digital display to show its current draw and status etc. Would have been nice to have its display visible! It's a big undertaking to move it as it's in the middle of high current wiring.
-----------------

Solution:
  • Manually raise the hydraulic jacks with a drill (in Lippert manual)
  • Manually retract the awning (video on how to do this will a HF drill https://youtu.be/AJQI0iPCK5A )
  • Manually retract slideouts (in Lippert manual)















No comments:

Post a Comment