Sunday, June 19, 2022

Installing a Front Hitch



We have two electric bikes and have been carrying them in the house.
We wanted to mount them outside but they are heavy.

We decided to mount one on the front and one on the back.
The back bike goes on a platform in that hitch and the front one that is a lighter bike will go on a bike rack on the front hitch.

After a bunch of research and an email to the manufacturer, I got a hitch from amazon. Draw-Tite 65053 Front Mount Receiver Hitch

The paper instructions are OK but the best installation help is the video on this page: https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Recei...ite/65053.html

The hitch went in without much difficulty. I did NOT remove the bumper as some other installers suggested. A floor jack is helpful in lifting the hitch into position.

After loosening the bumper bolts the hitch bolts were easy to get up in the frame with the most brilliant set of spring wire helpers I have ever seen. I chucked each time I pulled the bolt up and through the frame with this technique. See the video.

The biggest problem I had was getting the lower shroud bolts into the Timmerman nuts. I ended up having to retap and rethread the hardware.

I cut the shroud a little closer than the instructions called for and it fits nice.

I am happy with the quality of the hitch. It was easy to install by me and DW. Now we can mount bikes and maybe if I am brave the spare on the front.





No comments:

Post a Comment