Sunday, June 19, 2022

Spare Tire Kit for Jayco 26Y

Spare Tire Kit



After a lot of research and help on the Jayco forum, I finally got a spare tire kit for my Jayco 26Y.
------
I hope I NEVER have the opportunity to come back here and let everyone know how well it worked.
-----

MY PLAN

I built a kit mainly so that if I get a flat I have the spare for road assistance to exchange. However, I also wanted the option to change it myself if in dire need.
-----
Disclaimer: your RV may be different than mine and require different parts so check everything carefully before you purchase and try everything before you trust it.
------

I tested my spare kit by jacking up the RV and removing nuts but not the tire.
The 6-ton jack lifted the RV, OK but I needed more leverage and length than the stock bar provided. I made a multipiece one from 3/4 pipe and nipples.

@ 140 ft-lb I had no problem breaking the nuts loose with a 25" breaker bar and replacing them using the torque rod was easy.

As a handling test, I lifted the tire into the bed above the cab where we plan on storing the tire until I find a better approach. The spare is heavy and I could, with lots of grunting, manhandle it up and off the bunk. Then roll it down the stairs to the ground.

Eventually, I want to mount it under the back frame.

-------------
I got my rim off eBay and had to put a coat of paint on it as it was used.

PIN OR NO PIN that is the question
There is one potential fit problem with the rim you get.
Evidentially some rims have a locator pin and some do not. Ensure that your rim fits your RV.
Schwab tested my eBay rim on the RV when they mounted and balanced the tire. My wheel and RV both had the pin and hole. They told me if the pin was not needed they would have cut it off but you don't want to find this out on the road.

--------------
I added 2x spare lug nuts to my kit. I could imagine losing them in the dirt.
--------------
Attached also are photos of the tire-changing information I collected.
---------------------------

Kit Contents

Here is what my kit ended up as:

Tire change specs:
--Torque: 140 ft-lb
--Apply anti-seize between 2 piece washer and nut

Spare tire kit:
--Tire* & rim **
--Rubber hammer/prybar for wheel simulators, [https://amzn.to/33aU2DG]
--1/2 " drive 25 " breaker bar, (HF)
--1/2" drive extension
--6 ton bottle jack
--Long bottle jack handle (I made a multi-peice one out of 3/4 pipe)
-- 140 ft-lb torque rod [https://amzn.to/33h4itL]
-- 7/8 x 1/2" drive impact socket
-- 2 x Spare lug nut (9/16 x 18 two-piece lug nut)***
-- Copper-based anti-seize https://amzn.to/3edE69N
-- Plastic Bag to cover the spare
-- Two 12", 4x4 sections
-- Air pump

-------------------
Wheel: 8C24-1015-GA GRY HA WHT** [Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332386940277]
Tire: LT225/75R16* [from Schwabbs]
WHEEL NUT: Dorman Motormite 611-127*** [OReilly or https://amzn.to/3b0Ov6W]



Enjoy and comment:

No comments:

Post a Comment