Thursday, September 15, 2022

RV Trim Lights

 Let There Be (more) Light

I wanted to add some trim lights on our RV to help illuminate the campsite. The RV had only one small light above the door. So I went searching for LED strings and controllers.

RV upgrades are never as simple (or as cheap) as you initially plan this was no exception.

I got this set of lights and a controller. I figured I would mount the strip on the trim and wire them to the outdoor light switch. Easy peasy!

https://kit.co/donkjr/rv-upgrade-maint-repair/led-strip

After getting the set I realized that the controller uses an IR remote. This meant that the IR sensor needed to have a clear line of sight from the outside of the RV. That is so I can change the lighting from my camping stool.

This brought into play a whole raft of weather and vibration requirements that I did not initially intend to tackle. Mounting anything outside of an RV takes some special scrutiny. It’s challenging enough mounting the LED strip on the outside of the RV now the controller needed to be mounted there as well. Actually, this would make the fragile wiring from the controller to the strip more reliable.

I could have 3D printed a custom case but I went with the switch box approach. You can find many styles of plastic electrical boxes that can be used for projects like this. In this case, I use a switch box that has a side box area intended to accommodate expanded wiring.

I bent a form-fit acrylic cover. The controller was screwed into the box and its power plug was hacked to allow the use of a Weather Pack waterproof power connecter. The IR sensor is positioned in a notch and held in place by the cover. A blade fuse was added. The LED strip plug exits the box in a position that facilities mounting the strip on the RV frame. All the cable exits were sealed with silicone. I would call the box water resistant not waterproof.




The power for this box came from the outside lights switch inside the RV. Getting from that switch through the cabinets and out the frame was not at all fun. I had to remove/replace three rear panels in the cabinets
As I am writing this I am thinking I will add a gasket to the box's acrylic cover.









Enjoy and please comment,
Don

No comments:

Post a Comment